How Much does Cataract Surgery Cost?
Cataracts develop as a common part of the aging process when the natural lens in the eye begins to harden and become cloudy, causing a decline in vision over time. Cataracts can eventually progress to the point of not being able to pass a driver’s test, and can even result in blindness if left untreated for a long period of time. The only way to reverse the effects of cataracts is through surgical removal; therefore, many insurance policies, including Medicare, often provide coverage for certain aspects of cataract surgery.
The overall cost of cataract surgery is dependent on a number of factors, including:
- Patient’s insurance plan coverage (remaining deductible, surgery co-pay, plan’s co-insurance amount, etc.)
- The technology utilized (custom cataract surgery or traditional cataract surgery)
- The type of intraocular lens that will be placed once the cataracts are removed (standard single-focus IOL or premium IOL)
- Surgeon’s fees
- Facility, anesthesia, and equipment fees
- Pre-operative exams and post-surgical care
- Post-operative drops prescribed
Cataract surgery can be customized for each patient depending on their budget, vision goals and individual needs. With that in mind, the total costs associated with cataract surgery will vary for each person. Once your eyes have been examined by one of our experienced cataract surgeons, a treatment plan will be created that is designed to effectively remove your cataracts and improve your vision. A member of our staff will then go over the total estimated costs with you and discuss your insurance options. If you are not insured, or if you would simply like to offset the cost of cataract surgery, our practice works with CareCredit®, a healthcare financing company that provides flexible and affordable payment options to qualified applicants.
Find answers to frequently asked questions about cataract surgery.
We will be happy to answer any questions you may have about the costs involved with cataract surgery and how you can bring this vision-restoring procedure into your budget.